|No||Document name||Available at||Relevant sections/articles/paragraphs||“SLT and minors” related findings|
|Prohibition of Smoking and Protection of Non-Smokers Health Ordinance 2002.||http://www.tcc.gov.pk/downloads.php||
• Section 8, titled Prohibition of sale of cigarettes, etc. to minors- “No person shall sell cigarettes or any other smoking substance to any person who is below the age of eighteen years”.|
• Section 9, “Prohibition of storage, sale and distribution of cigarettes, etc.,in the immediate vicinity of educational institutions” – No person shall himself or by any person on his behalf, store, sell or distribute cigarettes or any other smoking substance or any other tobacco product within (fifty) meters from any college, school or educational institution.
• Explanation of Educational institutions: “All schools in the country, Primary, Secondary, Higher Secondary, all Colleges, Intermediate degree, Medical Colleges, Engineering Colleges, Agriculture and all other institutions and all the Universities, private or Government have declared 100% smoke free. No student, teacher, persons who are working in the above mentioned institutions and all heads of institutions cannot smoke in the premises”.
“No tobacco products can be sold within the 50 meters area of the premises of all above mentioned”
• Sale of cigarettes and other smoking substances to minors is banned, no mention of SLT.|
• Selective prohibition i.e., Ban on sale of all kinds of tobacco in and in the immediate vicinity of various institutions.
• All institutions mentioned are declared “smoke free” and not “tobacco free”.
|SRO on “The Prohibition of Sale of Cigarettes to Minors Rules, 2010||http://www.tcc.gov.pk/downloads.php||• No mention of smokeless tobacco.||• None|
|Monitoring Checklist for Implementation Committee, 2002||http://www.tcc.gov.pk/downloads.php||
• Section 8, Sale of cigarettes and other tobacco products to minors Yes/No|
• Section 9, Presence or absence of cigarette sales outlet/s within 50 m of the institution, and the presence or absence of cigarette sale in the institutions cantine.
• Monitoring of tobacco products sale to minors.|
• Monitoring of sale of tobacco products in, or in the vicinity, of institutions mentioned in section 9 of the 2002 ordinance.
|Media Resource Kit on Tobacco Control||http://www.tcc.gov.pk/downloads.php||The media tool kit has a section on SLT, however, there are no particular references to minors.||• None.|
|Employment of children act, 1991a||http://www.na.gov.pk/uploads/documents/1335242011_887.pdf||
• Section 3. Prohibition of Employment. “No child shall be employed or permitted to work in any of the occupations set forth in Part I of the Schedule or in any workshop wherein any of the processes set forth in Part II of that Schedule is carried on:|
Tobacco processing and manufacturing including niswarc and bidib making.” Is mentioned as one of the processes (part II) where child employment is illegal.
• Children under 14 years of age are not allowed to be involved in processing or manufacturing of tobacco.
|The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Prohibition of Employment of Children Act, 2015 (Act No. XIX of 2015).||http://www.pakp.gov.pk/2013/acts/the-khyber-pakhtunkhwa-prohibition-of-employment-of-children-act-2015/||
• Section 3. Prohibition of employment.
“(1) No child shall be employed or permitted to work in any establishment:
Provided that a child not below the age of 12 years may be engaged in the light work, alongside his family member, for a maximum of two hours per day mainly for the purpose of acquiring skills, in a private undertaking, or in any school established, assisted or recognized by Government for such purpose.
(2) No adolescent shall be employed or permitted to work in any hazardous work included in the Schedule”.
The above mentioned “Schedule” includes “Tobacco processing and manufacturing including Niswar and bidi making”.
|• No children or adolescent is allowed to work in tobacco processing and manufacturing.|
|Shops and Establishments Ordinance 1969||http://www.ilo.org/dyn/travail/docs/1008/West%20Pakistan%20Shops%20and%20Establishments%20Ordinance%201969.pdf||
Section 20. Prohibition of employment of children. “No child shall be required or allowed to work in any establishment”|
Section 7. Opening and closing hours of establishments
“Except with the permission of Government, no woman or young person shall be employed in any establishment otherwise than between the hour of 9–00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m”.
|Children under 14 years are not allowed to work in any establishment, which may also include tobacco sale shops.|
|Government of Sindh Resolution, PAS/Legis-R-202/2016/734-A||http://www.pas.gov.pk/index.php/mediacenter/ntf/en/31/1404||Resolution- “This Assembly resolves that Provincial Government impose ban on import, sale and purchase of beetal nut & Gutka in the entire Province of Sindh. According to medical statistics chewing Gutka is injurious to health and is pre-cancerous”.||• Selective ban on SLT i.e., Gutkac only.|